Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl, featuring a different top 10 theme each week. This week’s topic is Book Cover Freebie – meaning we come up with our own spin on the topic, so long as it relates to book covers.
I thought I’d keep it simple and highlight types of covers that I love… plus a couple that I loathe.
1. Covers featuring dreamy characters gazing out to sea — my favorite example being this lovely cover for The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley:
2. Bright colors on a black background: Maybe it became popular back with Twilight, but I’m always a sucker for the bright-on-black look.
3. Cutesy cartoon-y romance covers:
4. Cheesy 70s covers:
5. Moody urban fantasy heroes:
6. A series with a committed cover theme:
7. Bonkers looks for a bonkers book — such as these covers for books by Grady Hendrix:
8. Covers full of YUM — I’m not a foodie, but I do love a good cupcake!
And just a couple types of covers that I LOATHE:
9. Bare chests. Muscles. Tattoos. Muscle-y tattooed chests. You get what I mean.
[Note: Sorry — I started looking for images to go with this one, and I just couldn’t. For whatever reason, this type of cover makes me cringe SO much.]
10. Movie/TV tie-ins. I mean, I love a great adaptation as much as anyone, but I still prefer my book covers to be just book covers, not pictures of movie or TV stars. Even for my beloved Outlander series, I’d still take an old-fashioned cover over the new Jamie/Claire/TV cover (and don’t get me wrong, I adore the TV series!)
Are there certain types of covers that you love or loathe? Let me know what you think!
And if you wrote a TTT post this week, please share your link.