Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, featuring a different top 10 theme each week. This week’s topic is the top 10 places we want to visit because of books. And luckily for me, fictional places count too!
Without further ado, my 10 top book-related destinations:
1) The Scottish Highlands, thanks to the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon.
2) Paris, because of SO many books — most recently Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins. (I’ve actually spent time in Paris, but I’d go again in a heartbeat!)
3) Amsterdam, thanks to The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.
4) Japan, thanks to Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
5) Botswana, thanks to The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith
6) Australia, thanks to The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough
7) Italian Riviera, thanks to Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter.
8) New Orleans, because of every Anne Rice book I’ve ever read.
Honestly, there are so many real-world places I’d love to visit, and every time I read a book with a new or different setting, the list just gets longer and longer. I’d happily travel the world, books in hand, for the rest of my life!
To round out my top 10, I’ll just add in a couple of the fantasy worlds I wish I could get to… but alas, they only exist in fiction.
9 & 10 & beyond — the many lands of Middle-Earth:
Someone please figure out how I can get to Hobbiton (I’m short enough to fit comfortably):
And that’s not even mentioning Narnia, Fillory, Westeros (well, no, too dangerous), and so many other favorite fantasy worlds.
Where will your bookish travel bug take you?
Share your links, and I’ll come check out your top 10!
If you enjoyed this post, please consider following Bookshelf Fantasies! And don’t forget to check out our regular weekly feature, Thursday Quotables. Happy reading!
Do you host a book blog meme? Do you participate in a meme that you really, really love? I’m building a Book Blog Meme Directory, and need your help! If you know of a great meme to include — or if you host one yourself — please drop me a note on my Contact page and I’ll be sure to add your info!