One year ago today, I posted my very first post on Bookshelf Fantasies. Et voilà! A blogger was born.
When I started Bookshelf Fantasies, I truly had no idea what I was doing. I knew I wanted a creative outlet. I knew I wanted to write about books. I knew I enjoyed posting reviews on Goodreads. I jumped into blogging mainly just to see if I could pull it off. Would I have enough to write about? Would anyone care?
And here I am, a year later, and I’m loving it!
First and foremost, I want to send a sincere THANK YOU to all of the lovely people who have taken the time to visit, to comment, and to offer tips and encouragement. When I started my blog, I had only the vaguest inkling that there was an entire blogging community and that blogging is really a two-way street. I hadn’t thought much beyond the idea of writing and then hitting the “publish” button. What I’ve learned in the past 12 months is how many terrific, generous bloggers are out there, writing and producing amazing content, and offering friendship and connection all at the same time. I didn’t expect to find an online community, but I truly feel that I have — and I am so grateful!
Because I’m a numbers geek, I get a big kick out of playing around with my stats. (That doesn’t sound dirty at all, does it? Maybe I should spice things up a bit…) Here’s what’s happened at Bookshelf Fantasies in the past year:
- 383 total posts! That doesn’t mean that I post every day (honestly, I don’t) — but apparently, there are days when I’m feeling prolific!
- I’ve written 104 book reviews.
- I participated in 50 Wishlist Wednesdays and 30 Top 10 Tuesdays.
- I started two of my own regular weekly features and invited others to join in. So far, there have been 12 Thursday Quotables and 40 Flashback Fridays.
- I’ve written 35 posts in the category “The Reading Life”, about anything and everything in the life of a reader.
It tickles me pink and polka-dotted to realize that just this past week, Bookshelf Fantasies received its 10,000th page view!
I checked to see which posts had the most views, and it’s a weird mix — really, a smattering of everything. Here are the top 10 posts viewed the most this past year:
- Maps of Fictional Worlds — a silly little round-up of cool maps of places like Narnia, Westeros, Middle Earth and Alera.
- My one and only giveaway to date, as part of Armchair BEA. People love free stuff!
- Top 10 Favorite Characters in Epic Fantasy Fiction
- Breed: Lingering Questions (spoilers!)
- Flashback Friday: Flowers for Algernon (I think a lot of my visitors for this post are high school students looking for help with their essays, googling things like “themes in Flowers for Algernon”. Tsk, tsk. No cheating!)
- Book Review: Ocean’s Surrender. This one isn’t a mystery — the author shared the link on her Facebook page!
- A photo montage in honor of The Diviners. Photos of flappers are fun.
- Top 10 Books On My Summer TBR List
- Top 10 Super Long, Super Funny, or Just Plain Super Awesome Book Titles
- A Monster Calls: Review and Reflection
Of the posts I’ve written, my own personal favorites are some of the more personal ones, including:
- A Bookish Sort of Romance. Or, how I met my husband. Yay, books!
- The Final Read-Aloud
- Reading and blogging, chickens and eggs
- My Thanksgiving post from 2012: Giving thanks — a bookish perspective
And on that thankful note, I’ll say it one more time: THANK YOU to all of you who’ve cheered me on, stopped by to visit, offered book recommendations and blogging tips, and most of all, just brightened my day with your own smart, funny, insightful words. I’m so happy to have met you all!
Onward I go! Another blogging year awaits! Year one of Bookshelf Fantasies has been a blast. I can’t wait to see how the next year turns out!
To celebrate the 1st anniversary of Bookshelf Fantasies, here’s a giveaway to say thank you to all you nice folks! Enter below to win one of two $10 Amazon gift cards! (You’ll need to click the link – the giveaway widget opens in a new tab or window.)