Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl, featuring a different top 10 theme each week. This week’s topic is Unlikable Characters You Can’t Help but Love .
I almost skipped this one because I really couldn’t come up with a full ten… but what the heck, might as well share the ones I did think of!
My FIVE are:
- Severus Snape (Harry Potter series): I have a feeling we’ll be seeing a lot of Snape today. And yes, he’s problematic, but somewhere deep inside he did love Lily (even though he was awful to her son year in and year out…)
- Prince Cardan (Folk of the Air series by Holly Black): A total mean jerk when we meet him, but eventually, he’s redeemed by love.
- Tybalt, King of Dreaming Cats (October Daye series by Seanan McGuire): I mean, I never actually hated Tybalt, but Toby does at the beginning of the series! Fortunately, their hate/hate relationship morphs into something completely different.
- Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice): When we meet Lestat in Interview with the Vampire, we see him through Louis’s eyes, and let’s just say, it’s not a favorable impression. But as of The Vampire Lestat, we get to see him as he sees himself, and he’s just so much fun!!
- Damon Salvatore (The Vampire Diaries by L. J. Smith): Well, to be totally honest, I don’t remember much about book Damon (or the books in general), but I loved Damon on the TV series, so I say that counts!
That’s it! Those are the only loveable baddies I could think of!
Can’t wait to see everyone else’s lists… so please share your links!
30 thoughts on “Top Ten Tuesday: Unlikable Characters You Can’t Help but Love ”
Snape is a great pick.
And I love Damon…but I’d never want to be anywhere near him. He’s too unpredictable. Haha.
My post: https://lydiaschoch.com/top-ten-tuesday-unlikable-characters-you-cant-help-but-love/
Agreed, not that I necessarily want to hang out with these characters… 🙂
Lestat and Damian. I love that both are from vampire books!
Yes, I realized that after I posted! Maybe my next freebie topic will be about vampires we love to hate. 🙂
That would be so fun!
Cardan made my list too! I’ve never flipped so hard on a character before!
Absolutely! What a turnaround!
Fab list! Cardan! Yes!
I love those books so much. 🙂
Snape has definitely appeared on a lot of lists today.
My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2022/11/01/top-ten-tuesday-392/
I figured he would!
Snape has been a popular choice this week! For a good reason as well.
Pam @ Read! Bake! Create!
Definitely! So many shades of grey.
Oh, I didn’t even think about Snape. I, too, have Cardan on my list.
Cardan seems to be getting a lot of love today!
I couldn’t think of any lovable baddies to even try to do a list! Good job on yours. (Though I can’t say I love Snape at all.)
Such mixed feelings on Snape! I mean, learning more about his childhood made me feel sorry for him… but how could he treat Lily’s son like that for so many years?
Cardan is a great choice. I really enjoyed that series.
I’m so excited there’s going to be another book in that world!
I struggled with this prompt too; I couldn’t even come up with 5, so changed it up a bit. Vampire Lestat – I read that SO many years ago, I never would have thought of it.
Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys
It’s been a really long time for me too since reading Lestat — but now I’m watching the TV adaptation of Interview, so Lestat has been on my mind!
Lestat is a good one! I do like how he seems to change as the series progresses.
Have you read the entire series? I think I stopped after four… but Lestat becomes so much more fun once he becomes the main character. (I still think his becoming a rockstar is incredibly silly, though)
I came up with Snape and Scrooge and that definitely wasn’t enough for a TTT list, so I did something else. LOL.
Happy TTT (on a Wednesday)!
It was a hard topic, for sure! 🙂 Wishing you a great week!
Snape was on a lot of lists this week. I can see why! Bullying children will earn you a top spot on the “awful people” blog posts. 🙂
Definitely agree! It’s pretty hard to look past his behavior, even though he acted heroically in many ways.
Great list! I didn’t read the Vampire Diaries books, but Damon was definitely quite compelling on the show.
He’s much better on the show than in the books, IMHO.