Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl, featuring a different top 10 theme each week. This week’s topic is a freebie, which means we each come up with whatever we feel like writing about. I decided to go with the books being adapted for TV or movies in the coming year that I’m most excited for.
This is really the golden age of TV (and movies)! At least, for book lovers it is. Here are some adaptations coming soon(ish) that I’ll want to check out:
1) Pachinko – currently airing on Apple TV, based on the book by Min Jin Lee. I don’t have Apple TV and wasn’t planning to sign up… but this is really tempting me.
2) Daisy Jones & the Six – no release date yet, but it’ll be coming to Amazon… eventually. The show started filming in fall 2021 and stars Riley Keough as Daisy and Sam Claflin as Billy. Can’t wait to see how this turns out!
3) The Time Traveler’s Wife – coming to HBO in May 2022. This is a favorite book, but I did not like the 2009 movie version, which completely missed what made the book so special. I have high hopes for this new adaptation, which stars Rose Leslie and Theo James.
4) Persuasion – a new version! I actually love the 1995 film, but I don’t hate the idea of a fresh take either. Coming to Netflix sometime in 2022, this adaptation stars Dakota Johnson and Cosmo Jarvis.
5) The Storied Life of AJ Fikry – The movie is supposedly filming now. I haven’t found a confirmed release date, but estimates are 2022 or 2023. Kunal Nayyar (of Big Bang Theory) has the lead role.
6) Killers of the Flower Moon – another one coming to Apple TV! Argh, I really may have to bite the bullet and subscribe. There isn’t a firm release date set as far as I’ve seen, but it looks like it’ll be late 2022 or early 2023.
7) House of the Dragon – Based on George R. R. Martin’s Fire & Blood, this Game of Thrones prequel series will be huge, I’m sure. Airing August 2021 on HBO… and yes, I’ll probably watch, despite the awful taste left behind by the end of GoT.
8) Where the Crawdads Sing – coming to theaters in July 2022. I’m eager to see if a movie can do justice to the characters.
9) Kindred – Absolutely yes to the adaptation of this fabulous work by the great Octavia Butler. No release date yet, but it’s being adapted for TV by FX. Find out more here.
10) An Offer From A Gentleman – Okay, yes, it’s a little soon to be hungry for season 3 of Bridgerton… but what else are we supposed to do after binging season 2?
What TV/movie adaptations are you most excited about? And what was your TTT topic this week?
Share your links, and I’ll come check out your top 10!
33 thoughts on “Top Ten Tuesday: Book Adaptations I’m Looking Forward To”
Ooh, I didn’t know there was a Kindred adaptation coming out. That’s awesome!
My post: https://lydiaschoch.com/top-ten-tuesday-reasons-to-take-a-reading-break/
I’m so excited to see how it translates to the screen! I should probably do a re-read before it airs, though — it’s been a lot of years since I read the book.
I really need to read Pachinko soon, I’ve had it waiting for ages
It’s really a terrific book, so well written and beautifully told.
Great idea for a post. I’m not sure how I feel about a Crawdads movie – hope it doesn’t spoil it for me!
I haven’t done one of these posts in a while, so I’m using my freebie to look at 21st century classics: https://wordywitterings.com/2022/04/05/ttt-21st-century-books-i-think-will-become-classics/
I have a hard time imagining how a movie will capture the inner life of the main character in Crawdads — but I’m hoping they do a good job capturing the beauty of her surroundings.
I am the same way with Pachinko. I don’t have Apple TV but I think I am going to cave. I loved that book!
I had no idea that The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry was getting an adaptation!
Re Apple TV, I swore that I would draw a line and not add any further streaming services!! But it’s awfully hard to give up seeing Pachinko.
So many good adaptations to look forward to! Great TTT. 😀
Thank you! I’ve done so much binge-watching since the pandemic started, and what better than seeing an adaptation of a book I love? (So long as it’s good adaptation…)
I’m looking forward to Project Hail Mary!
Oh, wow, I didn’t know there was a movie version on the way! That’s exciting! Can’t wait to see Rocky. 🙂
Yes! Ryan Gosling has the lead….and Rocky will be interesting!
Can’t wait for House of Dragon. Anything has to be better than the ending of season 8!!!
Haha, yes, I agree! I’m sure I”ll watch, but I don’t feel entirely enthusiastic about re-entering that world. Then again, I did think the Fire & Blood book was fascinating!
Someone else did this topic today too 🙂 I had read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society book and thought it was pretty good. Then I watched the movie and it was so far from the storyline that it frustrated me. Hopefully these will be good. Here’s my post: https://cindysbookcorner.blogspot.com/2022/04/top-ten-tuesday-book-series-i-would.html
I read Guernsey and watched the movie, but with so many years in between that the differences didn’t really stand out to me. It’s always great when an adaptation works, but I’m always nervous ahead of time to see whether they’re being faithful to the book.
I’ve seen this topic a few times today. It’s a good one and I love that everyone’s list is a little bit different. 🙂 I’ve heard such great things about AJ Firky. I guess I need to read that sooner rather than later so I can watch the adaptation. 🙂
The book is amazing! In fact, I think I should read it again before the movie comes out!
I’m glad you like it that much. I’ll move that up my TBR list. 😀
I haven’t watched Bridgerton, but everyone’s excited for this season makes me want to just binge the first and second seasons right now. Hope these all end up being great adaptations.
Ooh, yes, do it! Bridgerton is just so highly binge-able!
I just bought a copy of An Offer from a Gentleman to tide me over😁
Yay! The books are really different from the series, obviously, but still lots of fun.
What? They’re making Fikry into a movie? Oh… hm… I’m not sure. I loved that book. But the cast looks good. We’ll see… (By the way, I did another #ShelfControl post https://tcl-bookreviews.com/2022/04/06/tcls-shelf-control-3-holding-onto-harris/)
I really loved AJ Fikry too, and any time there’s an adaptation of a book I love, I”m always a little nervous. Here’s hoping this is a good one! Thanks for sharing your link. 🙂
I’m looking forward to the new Vampire Chronicles show, and also the adaptation of Lost Apothecary
Oh, awesome! I think the Vampire Chronicles show is being produced by the people who did The Vampire Diaries? If so, I’m sure it’ll be great!
I need to get to the latest Bridgerton series soon. I hope the Time Traveller’s Wife series is good – I also wasn’t fond of the movie.
I really hope they do a good job with Time Traveller’s Wife too, but I’m feeling good about it based on the cast and that they’re doing it as a series, which should give it a chance to develop the characters and relationships better. Fingers crossed!
OMG I’m so excited for Kindred- I didn’t know about that! And I’m really excited for where the crawdads sing and daisy jones and the six 😀 And of course I’m already anticipating season 3 of bridgerton 😉
Season 3 can’t get here fast enough!!