Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl, featuring a different top 10 theme each week. This week’s topic is Books I’d Gladly Throw Into the Ocean. I just wasn’t feeling the topic at all. I don’t want to throw any books into the ocean! Except maybe as an offering to the merpeople…
Anyway, that got me thinking, and I decided to go with a altogether different sort of ocean theme. Here are 10 books (most that I’ve read and loved, plus a couple still sitting on my shelf waiting to be read) that focus on people of the sea — merfolk, selkies, and other underwater spirits. I didn’t realize I had so many until I started creating this list!
- The Blue Salt Road by Joanne M. Harris: A beautiful little illustrated book telling a wonderful selkie tale. (review)
- The Brides of Rollrock Island by Margo Lanagan: More selkies! Gorgeously written. (review)
- One Salt Sea by Seanan McGuire: The 5th book in the October Daye series. And yes — more selkies!
- Rolling in the Deep by Mira Grant: Killer mermaids! One of my favorite horror novellas. (review)
- The Mermaid by Cristina Henry: A mermaid in a historical fiction setting. Loved it. (review)
- The Deep by Alma Katsu: Supernatural goings-on on the Titanic. I didn’t love it, but it’s a cool concept. (review)
- In Other Lands by Sarah Rees Brennan: I haven’t read it yet, but it’s on my shelf and I can’t wait.
- All the Murmuring Bones by A. G. Slatter: Another one to be read.
- Sailor Twain by Mark Siegel: Excellent graphic novel. And yes, more mermaids. (review)
- The Deep by Rivers Solomon: Powerful and unique! (review)
Do you have any mermaid or selkie books to recommend? And sticking with this week’s official TTT topic, do you have books you want to throw in the ocean?
Share your links, and I’ll come check out your top 10!
22 thoughts on “Top Ten Tuesday: Under the Sea”
I love your take on this and I almost went in this direction, too, but I realized I haven’t read too many sea themed books! But really, ALL of these look good. Definitely adding the selkie books to my pile…
There’s something about selkie legends that just appeals to me so much!
My TTT: https://readingrecluses.wordpress.com/2021/04/06/top-ten-tuesdays-books-id-gladly-throw-into-the-ocean/
Solomon’s The Deep was such a good read!
My post: https://lydiaschoch.com/top-ten-tuesday-books-id-gladly-throw-into-the-ocean/
Such a unique story, and so powerfully told!
I love your take on this week’s topic! I am disappointed in myself as I love reading these types of books and somehow I’ve only read 1 from your list and need to remedy this! [My Top Ten]
Do you have any others to recommend? I really didn’t realize I had so many until I started putting this list together!
Fun twist on the topic! I don’t read much fantasy, so I can’t think of any to recommend to you. I hope others come up with some good suggestions 🙂
Thanks! I’m always on the lookout for more books to add to my TBR.
I love your spin! I appreciate focusing on books we love rather than dislike!
Same, for sure! Why go negative when there are so many positives to the books we love? 🙂
This is a great take on it, I couldn’t do it either! I haven’t read any of these but will check some out 😁
Thanks! It’s nice to find a more upbeat approach for certain topics. 🙂
Certainly is, I just couldn’t be that horrible! Obviously there are books I didn’t like or DNF but I jist couldn’t call them out!
It’s so great seeing other fans of Seanan McGuire/Mira Grant, she’s such an exceptional author! Wonderful job with this post and thanks so much for sharing it!
Thank you! Seanan McGuire is one of my very top favorites — I love the Toby Daye series so much, but also everything she writes!!
Agreed! I love that series, especially Tybalt! And I only just discovered her Mira Grant stuff but.. what I have read was incredible. ❤
I love the Newsflesh series, and basically everything she’s ever written! The only books I haven’t read are the Parasite trilogy books — I read the 1st, but it grossed me out so much I haven’t read the rest yet.
I recently read ‘Final Girls’ and I loved it, I haven’t read any of ‘Newsflesh’ yet but it looks so interesting! And thanks for the warning about ‘Parasite’.. have you read ‘Into the Drowning Deep’? It was my next Grant read..
It’s so great finding people who love the same books I do!
Loved Final Girls! And yes, I loved Into the Drowning Deep — did you read Rolling in the Deep first? She is just so talented!
No, I haven’t.. good save!(Thanks so much)! I’ll read that first. 😆
She really is, I can’t wait to read more of her as Grant!