Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl, featuring a different top 10 theme each week. This week’s topic is Book Characters I’d Love to Be Besties With. For me, this translates pretty much to characters I think are talented or cool or fun — just awesome people I’d want to spend time with (even though some of them are WAY out of my league in terms of supernatural abilities, but anyway…
1. Claire Fraser, Outlander by Diana Gabaldon: Of course. A strong, passionate woman, who’s creative, smart, and scientific.
2. Sophronia Temminnick, The Finishing School series by Gail Carriger: A true friend, who’ll defend you to the death. With a bladed fan, if necessary.
3. Anne Shirley, Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery: Wouldn’t it have been wonderful to have a friend like Anne during our childhoods?
4. Hermione Granger, Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling: I love Hermione, and I always felt a little bad that she didn’t have more girl friends at Hogwarts. I’d sign up in a second to be her partner for Herbology or Potions, or just to hang in the common room or the library.
5. October Daye, October Daye series by Seanan McGuire: Toby is all sorts of awesome, and I’d love to just live in her world for a while. And maybe hang out with May and the Luidaeg too.
6. Anna Cornick, Alpha & Omega series by Patricia Briggs: I love so much about Anna, especially her devotion to her loved ones, her inner calm, her ability to bring peace, and her fierceness when her mate and her pack are threatened.
7. Verity Price, Incryptid series by Seanan McGuire: A competitive ballroom dancer who’s also a master of weaponry and free running? Yes. Just all sorts of yes.
8. Lara Jean Covey, To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny Han: Lara Jean is so sweet and fun, and would probably be hilarious to hang out with in high school.
9. Elma York, The Calculating Stars by Mary Robinette Kowal: Elma is amazing! She’s got Ph.D.s in math and physics, loves to fly planes, and is determined to go into space. She’s brave, loving, and smarter than I can even comprehend.
10. June/Offred, The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood: If I had to live in a horrifying dystopian misogynistic society, it would be a good idea to have a tough rebel like June by my side! (I realize I may be combining the book and TV characters in my head, but so be it.)
What fictional characters would you want as your bestie? Please share your links!
24 thoughts on “Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Book Characters I’d Love to Be Besties With”
Great list! I agree, I love Hermione’s friendship with Ginny and her eventual friendship with Luna, but it would have been nice to see her have more girl friends throughout the series. Maybe when she went back to complete her 7th year without Harry and Ron she finally got a peaceful year at Hogwarts!
That would be nice! I like her friendship with Ginny, but that always kind of felt like an after-thought in some way, kind of a 2nd-tier friendship after Harry and Ron.
So much yes to Anne Shirley! I’ve always wondered if Hermione and I would end up butting heads or be the best of friends and I can never decide. :p
Ha ha, interesting thought about Hermione! She might have really brought out my competitive streak if I went to school with her, but then again, I was always drawn to smart girls who think for themselves. 🙂
I didn’t even think about Offred when I made my list, I read The Handmaids Tale in my English lit class and adored it. I’m so excited for The Testament!
Amber ♡ The Book Bratz
Me too — can’t wait to read The Testament! Have you been watching the Hulu show?
Anne and Hermione have been on so many lists this week. I wonder what they’d think of each other? I’d like to imagine they’d be best buds. 🙂
Interesting idea — would Anne and Hermione like each other? Or would Anne be too caught up in flights of fancy to appeal to practical Hermione?
Anne and Hermione would be awesome people to have as friends! Great choices 🙂
I do love them both! I shouldn’t have left Ginny off the list, though — poor Ginny never gets as much love as she deserves.
YES to Lara Jean!! She seems like such a sweet, lovely, loyal friend to have ❤ I put Kitty on my list this week because she's so much fun.
Ha, Kitty is awesome! I mean, she’d drive me crazy as a little sister, but she’s probably a ton of fun as a friend.
I really like your choice of Claire from Outlander!
I can almost always find a way to include Claire in my top 10 lists! 🙂 She’s such an incredible character.
Great list! Really agree with Lara Jean!!
I was surprised by how much I loved the Lara Jean books!
Claire Fraiser is honestly one of the BEST fictional characters of all time and I would definitely want to have her in my corner, too. Anne Shirley is just plain iconic and the same can be said about Hermione Granger. I feel like they were such a large part of my childhood so I feel you there! I’d totally want to be their friends for different reasons. Lastly, Lara Jean would be such a good friend! Great picks.
Absolutely agree about Claire. She’s just incredible in so many ways, and I wish I could spend time getting to know her in person. 🙂
I would love to have Hermione as a friend as well as Anne Shirley. These two are so different and are not afraid to be themselves.
So true — maybe that’s why they’re so well-loved. Neither cares very much about fitting in and being appropriate. They’re each smart and brave and unique!
I would totally be besties with Lara Jean!!! Great list!
She really is so much fun. 🙂
I would have loved to have Lara Jean as a best friend in high school. I think I would have had a great time with her.
The world needs more Lara Jeans!