Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, featuring a different top 10 theme each week. This week’s topic is:
Top Ten Tuesday Rewind:
Where we pick a topic we’ve done before, or one we skipped the first time around, and come up with a whole new top 10!
I wrote my first version of this list in March 2013… and sad to say, some of the same books are still on it! Yes, I’m the type who buys candy while waiting in line at the check-out stand, who picks up goofy souvenirs at the airport gift shop two minutes before boarding — I’m totally prone to buy on impulse, and nothing attracts me more than a brand new, shiny book THAT I HAVE TO HAVE RIGHT NOW.
Here are the top 10 books that I couldn’t wait to get my hands on, bought in a fit of total urgency, preordered months in advance… and they’re still sitting there on my shelves (or on my Kindle), taunting me with their pristine dust jackets, uncreased spines, and 0% completion.
1) S. by J. J. Abrams and Doug Dorst. I was so fascinated by this book when I first heard about it, couldn’t wait to get my own copy… and then once it arrived, I realized I had no idea how to actually go about reading it. It felt kind of like a chore, so I put it aside and never picked it up again.
2) The Dressmaker by Kate Alcott: A friend recommended this historical novel centered around the Titanic, and I thought it sounded like something I’d love. And I’m sure I will enjoy it, when I finally read it.
3) The Buffy graphic novels: I’ve read all of Buffy season 8, but I fell seriously behind on season 9 and its various spin-offs, so now I have several volumes of Buffy, Angel & Faith, and Willow to read.
4) Other Kingdoms by Richard Matheson: This ended up being one of Richard Matheson’s last novels, published two years before his death in 2013. I loved the plot description for Other Kingdoms, and bought a copy as soon as it was released.
5) In Cold Blood by Truman Capote: I was absolutely convinced that I was going to read this right away… and that was last September.
6) Me Before You by Jojo Moyes: I know this book is supposed to be amazing! I swear, I will read it in 2014!
7) Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh: Picked this one up in a bookstore a few months ago…
8) Small Damages by Beth Kephart: The reviews were excellent, and I couldn’t wait to read this young adult novel:
9) If I Stay and Where She Went by Gayle Forman: After reading Just One Day, I knew I needed to read more by Gayle Forman, and quickly got myself copies of these two books. I know, I know… gotta read them ASAP.
10) All the books from last year’s various TBR lists that I still haven’t gotten to:
Once again, this top 10 list is a good reminder to me of all the amazing books I ALREADY OWN that I need to read. (In other words, note to self: STOP BUYING BOOKS! Or more realistically, buy fewer books and read the ones I already have!)
Have you read any of these? Which of these should I dive into first?