Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl, featuring a different top 10 theme each week. This week’s topic is Characters I’d Love An Update On (Where are they now that the book is over?). I did a version of this topic ages ago (here), and I’m happy to come up with a fresh list of characters whose lives I’d want to check in on!
- Simon & Baz (Simon Snow trilogy by Rainbow Rowell): The trilogy just ended with the 3rd book’s release this past July, but these two characters are young adults with their whole lives ahead of them, and I’d love to know what happens next for them!
- Jude (Folk of the Air trilogy by Holly Black): Jude gets a happy ending, but surely being a queen of faerie as a mortal woman can’t be easy? I’d love to see how it’s going in another few years, just to make sure she’s happy.
- Lara Jean Covey (To All the Boys trilogy by Jenny Han): She gets a happy ending, but I want to know how she and Peter’s relationship really works during college and beyond.
- Rowan (Arc of a Scythe trilogy by Neal Shusterman): Such an unexpected turn of events in the final book! I’d love to know how it all worked out for the characters.
- Scarlett & Rhett (Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell): I know Scarlett by Alexandra Ripley was supposed to be the sequel, but I kind of hated it and pretend like it never happened… so I’d like to know how Scarlett and Rhett’s lives REALLY turned out. Did they go back to Tara? Did they get back together? Was tomorrow really another day?
- Elma and Nathaniel York (Lady Astronaut series by Mary Robinette Kowal): This is one where we will find out more, eventually. We left these characters newly arrived on Mars in the book that was released in 2018. Book #4 in the series is supposed to be released in 2022, and it should be picking back up with these two characters’ stories… can’t wait!
- Maia Drazhar (The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison): I love The Goblin Emperor so much, and would absolutely spend any amount of time reading about the years of Maia’s reign as Emperor. He’s such a fabulous character, and I want to follow the rest of his life and see how things turned out for him.
- Maggie Hoskie (The Sixth World books by Rebecca Roanhorse): I really liked the two books in this series and assumed there would be more… but I didn’t see anything specific online about when or if a next book would be forthcoming. In any case, I’d love to read more about Maggie, and hope we’ll get additional books eventually.
- Edward & Bella (Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer): Haha, I know… but I actually included these two on my previous version of this list, and the same questions hold true: How’s eternal life working out? How is it being married to someone you know you’ll be with FOREVER? How’s parenthood treating them?
- Elizabeth Bennet (Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen): Sure, there are tons of retellings and imagined sequels, but none by Jane Austen, so it’s not like they’re official! How did Elizabeth adjust to life at Pemberley? I’d love to know.
What characters would you most like to keep up with? Whose lives are you wondering about?
If you wrote a TTT this week, please share your links!
19 thoughts on “Top Ten Tuesday: Characters I’d Love An Update On”
GWTW! The “sequels” were soooooooooooooooooo awful–esp
Scarlett which shouldn’t have been published. It was just horrible. I’d love a REAL update on Scarlett & Rhett. P & P would be a fun one, too. Good job!
Ugh, Scarlett was terrible! I try to pretend I never read it, just so I can remove those plotlines from my mind.
I’m also pretty curious about Lara Jean and Peter.
I enjoyed their books so much, but now I’m tempted to do a rewatch of the movies (or at least the first one, since I didn’t love the other two)
There’s a novella for Cardan and Jude and there’s a small story with them in the now in it. Loved it ❤
Oh, in the King of Elfhame book? Yes, I did read that (and probably should read it again) — I’d just love even more!!
Yes that’s it 😁
I’d love to know how Lara Jean and Peter made college work! Maybe we’ll get some hints in the Netflix series Kitty’s getting…? Great list!
Ooh, good point about the Kitty series!
Ha ha Edward and Bella! I’m not sure I really want to know what’s going on, but I am curious 😁
I always felt like the way described vampire life by the final book made it sound so boring. They never sleep, and don’t need to actually move… not to mention attending high school over and over over. Sounds like a nightmare to me!
We were very like minded this week. I had Gone with the Wind and also fancied but eventually didn’t use Pride and Prejudice, Twilight and Goblin Emperor (i’ve read the second book but it’s a spin off with a different character). I also would like the next Roanhorse book, pretty please.
Yes, I’ve read Witness for the Dead, and I loved it — but really I just want to read about Maia!!
I’ve seen the movie of Gone With the Wind, but never read the book (my bad)! But I also heard that the book Scarlett was horrid. Yes, a better sequel is needed, I think…
I suppose having a sequel not written by the original author is generally a bad idea, even if it’s supposedly official!
I desperately need the third Sixth World novel. I hope plans for it are still happening.
I hope so… but I didn’t see anything on the author’s website about it.
Hi Lisa, I smiled when I read your comment about Scarlett. A bit of a disappointment, wasn’t it? I also read a book called Rhett Butler’s people. There’s never going to be a good enough sequel. I think we’re just going to have to use our own imaginations!
I agree! I often wish for more about favorite characters, but unless it’s coming directly from the original author, my feeling is that we can disregard the supposed sequels if we don’t like the way the characters are treated!