Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl, featuring a different top 10 theme each week. This week’s topic is Reasons Why I Love Reading. It seems challenging to break down into an itemized list why reading is such a dominant part of my life, but here goes:
1). Reading involves my brain, my emotions, my heart… it’s an immersive experience that makes me feel and makes me think.
2) I’ve learned so much from books! I love entering another time period through historical fiction, or learning about a place or a culture I might not otherwise encounter.
3) I can never be bored — I always have a book with me! Waiting on a long line at the store or the pharmacy? No problem — more time to read!
4) Bonding — Even if we have nothing else obviously in common, if I meet someone who loves the same book as me, we have plenty to talk about.
5) Flights of imagination — I love reading about fantasy worlds and feeling them come alive.
6) Getting to know favorite characters in a series. A well-written series can make me feel like certain characters are a part of my own life.
7) Living vicariously. Let’s face it, I’m probably never going to wield a sword or explore new star systems, but reading lets me feel as if I might, even if only in my reader’s brain.
8) Oh, the smarts! I’m adamant that reading makes us all smarter. Vocabulary, geography, scientific concepts — you name it, and I’m better at it because of reading.
9) The calming effect — sometimes, when times are tough or there’s just a lot of stress, opening a favorite book can feel better to me than meditation or even a nap. I can immerse myself in a beloved story or world and come out of it feeling refreshed and ready to face the world again.
10) Gaining empathy and understanding: Great novels let us into their characters’ hearts and minds. Walking in a character’s shoes and seeing how life feels to them is key to opening our hearts to people whose lives might not mirror our own.
Why do you love to read? Please share your TTT links!
21 thoughts on “Top Ten Tuesday: Reasons Why I Love Reading”
I love taking flights of imagination!
My post: https://lydiaschoch.com/top-ten-tuesday-reasons-why-i-love-reading/
When a fantasy world is well-built, I feel like I’m there!
Thanks! It seems silly to explain why I love reading to other avid readers. 🙂
Hehe!! I get what you mean! But it’s fun to read ☺️
Fab ones, living vicariously is totally relatable!
That was one of the big benefits of reading during this past home while basically locked inside 24/7.
Yes, thank gawd for books!
Great list, Lisa! I’ve felt 9 so much in the past year – my family went through a rough patch last spring, and books were such a welcome and comforting escape.
I’m sorry to hear your family had a rough time — I hope things have gotten better. There are certain books I know I can pick up when I’m feeling down that will let me float away from my troubles, at least for a little while.
Great list. I forgot about the calming effect. My TTT post is here: https://wordywitterings.com/2021/07/05/ttt-reasons-why-i-love-reading/
It really works! Sometimes I can feel too keyed up to read, but if I can make myself get started, it always helps.
I really like your list. I agree, reading is a calm hobby.
Here’s my list!
It’s definitely helped me get past some stressful times. 🙂
I agree with your reasons.
Here is my TTT post: https://readbakecreate.com/?p=468
Thanks for sharing your link! Really, the reasons to read are endless. 🙂
I am always surprised every time I run into a new word when reading. It does make me feel smart!
I’ve always claimed that I did so well on my SATs (eons ago) because of all my reading. 🙂
You are never bored when you’ve got a book to read! 🙂
So true! I never leave the house without either a book or my Kindle — just in case!!
We share so many reasons! Reading people are the best people and can become “insta friends”!