Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl, featuring a different top 10 theme each week. This week’s topic is a FREEBIE, meaning we all choose our own themes. My topic this week is Special Editions… which means, fancy/extravagant/nice-to-have books that I gave myself as gifts. Because if I don’t treat myself to the nice things in life (BOOKS!), who will?
Here are ten books that I’ve treated myself to over the years — they make me happy whenever I see them!
1. Anne of Green Gables: I made it through decades of life deprived of the joys of Anne, but I suffer no more! I’m working my way through the series (on book #6 right now), and couldn’t resist this adorable hardcover edition.
2. Firefly: A Celebration: Browncoats, unite! Firefly’s TV life was cut short, but it lives on in the hearts of its fans. This big picture book includes complete scripts, amazing photos, and more. I needed it in my life!
3. Soulless: As a devoted fan of the Parasol Protectorate series, I really needed these pretty editions.
4. The World of Ice and Fire: Not only is this book SO gorgeous to look at, it’s really an amazing reference guide. So helpful when trying to keep your Targaryens, Starks, and Baratheons straight.
5. Y: The Last Man: I loved these graphic novels, and when I found a hardcover set of the full series on EBay, I had to have them.
6. Wonderstruck and The Marvels: I really love Brian Selznick’s approach in these books, using words and images to tell a complete story.
7. Harry Potter illustrated editions: I mean, obviously. I’ve been buying them as they’ve been released. Can’t wait for #4 this fall!
8. The Outlander Kitchen: If you knew me, you’d think it’s hilarious that I own this book. I do not cook. Really, at all. Yet I had to have this Outlander-themed cookbook, because Outlander. (And it’s really fun to look through, even if I will never, ever try any recipes.)
9. The Tales of Beedle the Bard: This one is a pretty recent edition to my shelves. I have a version of this book from when it first came out — but then I heard that there was an edition available with illustrations by Chris Riddell, and I was sold.
10: Hamilton: The Revolution: I bought a copy of this book as a gift for my daughter, back before I’d ever seen the show. But then I became a Hamil-fan, and needed one for myself. And yes, I’ve read it cover to cover, and loved it.
Do you ever treat yourself to special editions? What’s the best book present you ever gave yourself?
If you wrote a TTT post this week, please share your link!
30 thoughts on “Top Ten Tuesday: My super-special special editions”
My son buys all the Harry Potter related illustrated editions for my birthday and holidays. I love them, too! 😍
Thanks for the heads up about the Song of Fire and Ice book. My son is in the middle of reading the series and it would make a wonderful Christmas present for him. 👍✨
Oh, yes, he’ll love you so much when he opens his gift! 🙂 It’s really a lovely book, and I’m enjoying it so much.
I loved Firefly – this looks gorgeous!
It’s really wonderful! I had my eye on it for years, and finally gave in to temptation. 🙂
I love cookbooks that are based on fiction novels! I have an Anne of Green Gables one that is so adorable!
Oh, that sounds like such fun! Do you actually try the recipes, or is it more just to look through?
I have tried a couple! I’m planning on making a blog post about it eventually.
There’s nothing like seeing a fancy special edition of a book. Nice choices.
They make me so happy!
Great list, Lisa! I have that copy of Anne of Green Gables, too, and those illustrated editions of Harry Potter and The Tales of Beedle the Bard. I’ve yet to watch Outlander and I’m not a cook, but I love the sound of that cookbook.
The Anne book is so adorable! I think there are matching editions of Little Women and a couple of others, so I may be tempted to add more to my shelves. 🙂
Oooh I’m eyeing that Firefly book!
You’d love it! It’s shiny. And all sorts of awesome.
That Anne of Green Gables book is ADORABLE. I’ve never read her (I.. don’t know why), but that book makes me want to. Also yesss Hamilton. I have that on audiobook but haven’t listened yet.
My TT is here!
I just read Anne of Green Gables for the first time this year (can’t understand why I never encountered the book as a child), and loved it — so I just had to have this book!
I think that’s the book that’s billed as ‘for the girls who ask all the questions’, would you say that’s right??
Sounds about right! Anne is full of curiosity and imagination, and is such a terrific character.
Gail Carriger’s Soulless always makes me happy, too. In fact, I treated myself to that entire series. 🙂
Ah, the whole series is so amazing! I can’t wait for the 4th Custard Protocol to come out NEXT WEEK.
I love seeing special books people treasure! Thanks for sharing this!
My pleasure. 🙂 I’m with you — I love seeing the books that other readers hold near and dear.
How nice, Lisa! Yes, we must treat ourselves to books like these 🙂
Yes… although I sometimes think I’ve gone overboard! 🙂
Wow those were so cool, love the pretty cover of Anne of Green Gables.There are always new editions of Harry Potter coming out. Speaking of which, happy Birthday Harry for July 31st! What is Wonderstruck like? The cover looks really interesting with the faces.
Happy birthday Harry!! Wonderstruck is such a beautiful story, told through illustrations as well as words. It’s really worth checking out!
So many pretty books here. I keep thinking I should read the Anne of Green Gables books but haven’t got around to it yet. Having a lovely edition like that would probably be enough to make me start 🙂
I finally read Anne for the first time this year — it’s just as sweet and captivating as everyone says. 🙂
Ooooh I love all these editions ❤ What a collection! I have that edition of Soulless (the pink one)
I love the illustrations!