Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, featuring a different top 10 theme each week. This week’s topic is Top Ten Inspiring Quotes from Books. I don’t necessarily have quotes that inspire me, but I do have a bunch that make me happy, for a variety of reasons, whenever I think about them. For some, I like the mood they create or what they say about the characters involved, but in other cases, it’s merely a matter of liking the words used and the way a phrase sounds.
1. “Speaking of ways, pet, by the way, there is such a thing as a tesseract.” – from A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle
2. “It’s like being in love, discovering your best friend.” – from Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
3. “They meant no harm.” – from The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell
4. “It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J. K. Rowling
5. “Think now and then that there is a man who would give his life, to keep a life you love beside you.” – from A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
6. “I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will.” – from Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
7. “When the day shall come that we do part,” he said softly, and turned to look at me, “if my last words are not ‘I love you’ – ye’ll ken it was because I didna have time.” – from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon (you didn’t really think I’d get through a whole TTT post without an Outlander reference, did you?)
9. “If you wish to make a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.” – from One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. Seuss (I just love to say this one)
10. “Go then, there are other worlds than these.” – from The Gunslinger by Stephen King
Oh, what the heck, one more for good luck:
“The way I saw it, one of the single greatest advantages of being in a relationship was that you got to eat off the other person’s plate.” – from Tempest’s Fury by Nicole Peeler.
What quotes made your list this week?
Share your links, and I’ll come check out your top 10!
If you enjoyed this post, please consider following Bookshelf Fantasies! And don’t forget to check out my regular weekly feature, Thursday Quotables. Happy reading!
Do you host a book blog meme? Do you participate in a meme that you really, really love? I’m building a Book Blog Meme Directory, and need your help! If you know of a great meme to include — or if you host one yourself — please drop me a note on my Contact page and I’ll be sure to add your info!