Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, featuring a different top 10 theme each week. This week we’re talking about books from 2014 that we really wanted to read… but didn’t. Some of these I actually own; some are just books that I thought sounded great, but then never actually pursued. Oh well, there’s always 2015!
My top 10:
1) Locke & Key, volume 6: Alpha & Omega by Joe Hill: I was DYING for this one, the final volume in the awesomely creepy and brilliant Locke & Key series. And then when I got a copy, I realized I should re-read volumes 1 – 5 to get the maximum enjoyment out of the series wrap-up. But somehow, I still haven’t made it happen.
2) Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King: I practically jump up and down whenever Stephen King publishes new books and read them immediately — except for this one. I still intend to… eventually.
3) Frog Music by Emma Donoghue: Loved the sound of Frog Music, and I hope to read it in the next month or so.
4) The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd: I was hoping that my book group would choose this book, so I held off. It hasn’t happened yet, so I’ll probably end up going for it on my own.
5) The One-Hundred Year House by Rebecca Makkai: Another one that sounds great, and I just haven’t found the right time.
6) The Vacationers by Emma Straub: I read a review of The Vacationers when it was released and made a mental note to borrow a copy from the library, and then completely forgot about it.
7) Lock In by John Scalzi: I had this one on preorder and everything — then decided it wasn’t urgent and that I didn’t need another hardcover on my bookshelf. Now I’m waiting for the paperback release this coming summer.
8) Euphoria by Lily King: I didn’t pay attention to Euphoria at first, but after seeing it pop up on so many “best of 2014” lists, I have a renewed interest in reading it. Another great possibility for my book group, I think.
9) Hollow City by Ransom Riggs: I can’t believe it’s been about a year since this book came out, and I still haven’t read it. The question is, am I still interested at this point?
10) The Infinite Sea by Rick Yancey: This should probably be up at the top of my list, as it’s the one I intend to read ASAP. I bought a copy when it came out last year, then decided I should re-read The 5th Wave first. I got side-tracked, big time… and finally finished the audiobook version of The 5th Wave last week. So, hurray! I’m ready for The Infinite Sea!
Have you read any of the books on my list? Which do you think should be my top priority? And what books from 2014 do you still need to read?
Share your thoughts! And leave me your links, please, so I can come check out your top 10.
If you enjoyed this post, please consider following Bookshelf Fantasies! And don’t forget to check out my regular weekly feature, Thursday Quotables. Happy reading!
Do you host a book blog meme? Do you participate in a meme that you really, really love? I’m building a Book Blog Meme Directory, and need your help! If you know of a great meme to include — or if you host one yourself — please drop me a note on my Contact page and I’ll be sure to add your info!
34 thoughts on “Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten 2014 Releases I Meant To Read (But Didn’t)”
I need to read some of those series, I haven’t managed to get up to the ones on your list 🙂 Here’s my Top Ten Tuesday if you’re interested: https://victoriajaynesbooks.wordpress.com/2015/01/13/top-ten-tuesday-6/
Thanks for sharing!
Great list. I loved The Infinite Sea and hope you will too!
Thanks! I’m so excited to read it (just have to finish off some library books first!), and I’m so glad that I re-read The 5th Wave first. I’m happy to hear that you loved it!
You really must get to The Infinite Sea! Stop everything you’re doing and go read it now!
Ha, I wish! It’s the next book that I own that I’m planning to read — but I have a stack of library books that I have to get through first… unless I just push them aside and renew them all. Hmm, now you’re giving me ideas! 🙂
DO IT DO IT DO IT
(sorry, I have a bit of an obsession with the series, I get quite irrational)
(but *coughcough* do it anyway)
LOL. So tempting…
Euphoria made so many ‘Top Books of 2014’ lists. I want to read Invention of Wings and The Vactioners as well.
I don’t know why I didn’t feel drawn to Euphoria when it first came out, but then ever since December I’ve been dying for it. There’s a huge wait list at my library, but I suppose I can be patient a bit longer!
Euphoria and The 100 Year House are on my list also. 🙂
I think either would make a good Book of the Month pick! What do you think?
Infinite Sea is a AWESOME sequel!! And I also want to read Lock In and Mr. Mercedes too!! Check out my Top Ten Tuesday
Ha, the consensus seems to be that I have to read The Infinite Sea NOW. Thanks!
I’ve only read the first volume of Locke and Key but absolutely loved it!! I need to get around to finding the next one in the library!
So good, isn’t it? I love the artwork, and how it supports the story so well. So clever and creepy and intense. I really need to make time to read the whole series again!
You’ve got such an interesting selection of books Lisa! I’ve added some to my TBR! I hope you enjoy them. 🙂
Thanks — I hope you enjoy whatever you end up reading!
I hadn’t heard of Lock In before (say hello to my TBR list), thank you for bringing it to my attention.
My pleasure! I’ve had my eye on it for a while, and have been wanting to read more John Scalzi ever since reading Redshirts a couple of years ago. Thanks for stopping by!
Great list! I really need to read the Locke and Key series, and I need to get around to reading some Rick Yancey, too, because I only ever hear great things about his books. 🙂 The Invention of Wings is another book on my TBR. There’s just so many!
I’d really like to read Ricky Yancey’s Monstrumologist series, which I hear is really terrific. Thanks for stopping by!
Ooo I forgot about Lock In. I’m going to have to add that one to my TBR pile soon. Great list!
Thanks! I feel like I’ve been meaning to read some of these for such a long time! I should really try to get through a bunch before picking up anything new. 🙂
I love the 5th Wave, but was a little disappointed with the sequel. Did you know they are filming the movie right now?
Yes! I’m excited to see how the movie turns out! I really like the different points of view in The 5th Wave, and it’ll be interesting to see how they capture that in the movie. Too bad you found the sequel disappointing, though. 😦 i’ve mostly been hearing good things!
Perhaps you’ll be interested in Peregrines if you delay the read and get inspired by the eventual movie trailer for it (although I don’t know when that’ll be haha). I’ve only read The Infinite Sea from your list and I’m definitely of the 10% of readers who didn’t like it as much. But I do hope you enjoy it!
joey via. thoughts and afterthoughts
Thanks, Joey! I didn’t realize there’s a movie of Peregrine in the works. I did really like the first book, but it’s just been so long that I don’t think I remember enough of the details to dive into the sequel.
A lot of the books on your list are series I definitely need to get around to reading (and would probably be on my list today if I had started them). Locke & Key sounds particularly good and I’m hoping to start that series this year!
It’s so well done, but super creepy and disturbing. If you like Joe Hill’s novels, you’ll like his graphic novels too!
Arrrghhh I’m still waiting for my library to buy #4-6 of the Locke and Key series. Read 1-3 back to back and I LOVE IT. Kind of going nuts waiting. The Infinite Sea is also one I didn’t get around to. I don’t remember much from the fifth wave either so I might have to just binge the whole series when the final installment comes out. 🙂
If you lived nearby, I’d lend you my Locke & Key books! It’s so frustrating waiting for the library to get certain books. I’m really glad that I reread The 5th Wave — I’d forgotten so much of the detail. But I’m sure once I read The Infinite Sea, I’ll still be stuck waiting for the next book and will end up having to re-read all over again.
I have read none of these even though Ynacey has been on my list for ages. I have been drolling over The 5th Wave before it was out so you know, it’s getting bad! I must start that one before I see so many spoilers it will be worthless! :L
Oh, you should definitely make time for The 5th Wave, especially with the movie coming out (this year, I think). 🙂