Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, featuring a different top 10 theme each week.
The actual topic this week is “Top Ten Characters I Would Crush On If I Were Also A Fictional Character”, but in my mind, I can’t help thinking of it as my Top Ten Fictional Crushes — or, as a friend and I like to say, our top 10 fictional boyfriends. Which makes us sound about 14 years old, but there you have it.
Since this is all make-believe, real-life considerations such as availability and age-appropriateness go right out the window. So here we go — the men of my book-bound dreams:
1) James Alexander Malcolm Mackenzie Fraser, a.k.a. Jamie Fraser (Outlander). Because, seriously — is there anything better than a tall, red-headed Scottish warrior in a kilt, who’s also mind-meltingly tender and romantic? I don’t think so.
2) Matthew Clairmont (A Discovery of Witches and Shadow of Night). Sexy vampire with multiple PhD degrees? Check.
3) Emilio Sandoz (The Sparrow). I know he’s a priest — didn’t I say that this list has nothing to do with availability? Emilio is so gifted, so perfect, and so tragically wounded in body and soul. Makes me want to protect him from the world. Sigh.
4) Henry DeTamble (The Time Traveler’s Wife). I love his romantic streak and his punk-rock wildness. Totally miscast in the movie version, in my opinion, but Henry in the book? To die for.
5) Eric Northman (Sookie Stackhouse series). I’ve got nothing against Alexander Skarsgard, but book Eric is THE Eric for me. The version of Eric I see when I read the books is a big and beefy Viking, built more like a football player (with super long ultra-blond hair) than the lean and lanky (and totally hot) Swedish TV version of Eric. I truly, truly loved Eric through many, many books… until the last couple, when his character kind of fell apart. In my humble opinion, of course.
6) Sirius Black (Harry Potter series). Love. Just love. Sirius is noble, loyal, misunderstood, intense, and hey — he’s a Gryffindor!
7) Connal Maccon (The Parasol Protectorate). Another Scottish crush! Although this one tends more toward fur than kilts. Connal is a big, strong, devoted man, a fine husband and father, and one heck of a pack Alpha for his house full of werewolves.
8) Ned Stark (A Game of Thrones). Poor Ned. For the 1% of people who haven’t either read the books or watched the HBO show, let’s just leave it at that. But goodness, what an honorable man. And yet another dedicated husband and father — do we sense a theme here? Runners up from ASoIaF: Jon Snow and Khal Drogo. No explanations needed.
9) Harry Dresden (Dresden Files). A wise-cracking wizard who kicks butt, defies authority, and is fiercely loyal to friends and family. What a guy.
10) I got totally stuck coming up with a #10. Should I go with the ever-popular Mr. Darcy? What about underdog Sydney Carton from A Tale of Two Cities? Or Brandon Birmingham, dashing sea captain from The Flame and the Flower (my very first romance novel, which I read at much too young and impressionable an age)? Then again, I did love Jake Epping in 11/22/63, Adam Hauptmann in the Mercy Thompson books… oh, and Aragorn! How could I forget my king?
It’s hopeless. I’m doomed to always fall for my book heroes. But happily, they’re always right there on my shelves, whenever I want to spend time with them again. So let’s hear it for our fictional crushes!
Who’s on your list this week?