I’m thinking about themes.
I’ve been using the same WordPress theme (Adelle) on my blog for several years now, and while I like it, I think my eyes are just getting a little tired of looking at it!
I’m thinking that it’s time to select a new theme, but it’s not as easy as I thought it would be. There are so many to choose from!
Here’s what I’m looking for:
- A simple, clean layout
- Being able to keep my header image without any words superimposed over them
- Keeping the widgets in a right-hand column
- A simple menu bar
- No borders — I think it’s the black background on my current theme that bugging me right now, but when I experiment with making it white or a different color, I don’t like it. I’d like a format that’s the width of the page (if that makes sense — I’m not up on layout terminology!)
Here’s what I don’t want:
- Excerpts with a “read more” link. I like to see full posts displayed on the home page.
- Magazine style layout — an image grid on the home page that you have to click through to read the content.
- Lots of fuss. No built-in images or graphics that can’t be changed.
WordPress used to display the theme name at the bottom of a blog’s home page, but I notice that’s not displayed any more, which is frustrating. When I visit other folks’ blogs, I’m always on the lookout for great layouts and themes!
So, for all you WordPress bloggers — any suggestions? Any particular themes you especially like? Do you know of any that might suit what I’m looking for?
I’ve spent a bunch of hours so far this week playing around with demos of different themes, but I’m just not finding anything (yet) that makes me happy.
Any recommendations would be much appreciated!
9 thoughts on “Blogging: Any favorite WordPress themes?”
You can take a look at my blog. travelreadlove.blog. I use Dara but I have been thinking about changing mine up as well.
Your blog has a really nice look! Thanks for sharing!
Thank you Lisa. Happy to share.
I use Hemingway Rewritten, and I really like it. It’s a clean design and is pretty flexible: for example, you can turn off the ‘Read More’ snippets for posts so the whole text shows up, or you can have a blurb, like the way I have it set. You can change the header image, too, and I think you can turn off the header title if you just want to use a single graphic across the whole banner (I think, I am not totally sure about that). Check out my blog at http://www.travelinggladly.com if you want to see the theme in action.
Thank you! It’s really a nice clean look — I’ll play with the demo version a bit and see if it will work for me. 🙂
You’re welcome! I hope it suits your needs!
I have just created my blog about sustainability and happily used the “Milo” theme which costs approx 60$ but it was worth it! http://themes.pixelwars.org/theblogger/milo/ Cheers!
Wow, that’s a great look! Thanks so much for the suggestion!
you are welcome! happy creating 💚