Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl, featuring a different top 10 theme each week. This week’s topic is a Page to Screen Freebie — meaning we come up with our own topic related to book adaptations. And here we go — ten TV adaptations that I’ve loved.
1) Outlander: Big surprise, right? I love the books, but I’m finding that I’m really loving the TV version too, even when it veers away from the plot and character details in the books. Great cast, gorgeous costumes and sets, overall excellent production! Four season in, this show is going strong.
2) A Discovery of Witches: Granted, this show hasn’t even finished its first season yet (in the US), but it’s really growing on me. Once again, great cast and gorgeous settings help a lot, but also the plotting and dialogue are really well conveyed in the TV version. I didn’t expect to like this as much as I do!
3) The Expanse: I’ve loved the books in the series (up to #3, which is as far as I’ve gotten), and think the TV adaptation is fantastic. So happy that’s it been picked up by Amazon for another season!
4) iZombie: Did you know that this CW series was based on a comic series? To be honest, I didn’t love the first book, but the TV version is great. I’m just sad that the current season will be the last.
5) The Walking Dead: I started watching the show before I read the books, but now I’m completely up to date on both. Call me crazy, but I’m still enjoying the show, despite a LOT of major bumps in the road lately. I’m hooked — too late to give it up now.
6) Big Little Lies: I think the HBO series was a great adaptation, and can’t wait to see what they do with it in the 2nd season, now that they’ll be off-book.
7) The Magicians: I hate to say it, but as much as I liked the books, I think I like the TV show even more. Despite the plot often being mind-boggling and impossible to follow, I just love the cast. and will watch them in whatever crazy situation comes their way. Bonus points for the random musical episodes.
8) Pride and Prejudice (BBC version): Well, of course! This is an oldie, but it sure stands the test of time. I feel the need to pull out my DVD set and rewatch every couple of years.
9) Game of Thrones: I hesitate to include this one, not that it’s not spectacular, but because my feelings about this final season are really conflicted, and I’m so worried about how the storylines will wrap up in the very last episode — this coming Sunday!
10) NOS4A2: Okay this one hasn’t aired yet, but it’s coming soon, and looks absolutely terrifying!
What are your favorite TV versions of beloved books? If you wrote a TTT post this week, please share your link!