Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, featuring a different top 10 theme each week. This week’s topic is Ten Books I Picked Up On A Whim.
Usually, my reading and buying habits are pretty planned out in advance, but the big exception is when I attend our library’s book sales every fall and spring. These sales are huge! Lasting for five days, with all books selling for $3 or less, the sales are just a mecca for booklovers, and I try never to miss them. According to the sale website, they typically have 500,000 books — amazing! Here’s a pic from the most recent book sale:
Okay, so when I first started going to the Big Book Sale (that’s its official name), I’d always take a list with me — all the books I hoped to find among the thousands and thousands of books available. Over the years, I’ve learned that I’ll always find something great, but not necessarily anything from my list.
So, long-winded introduction aside, the last time I bought books on a whim was at the spring sale, when I came home with 41 books for $58! A bunch of those were for my daughter, but here’s a shot of my amazing book haul:
Some of my random, on-a-whim finds from this outing are:
1) The Pigeon Pie Mystery by Julia Stuart
2) The Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov
3) The Pirates! In An Adventure With Scientists by Gideon Defoe
4) White Crow by Marcus Sedgwick
5) In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson
6) Things Half in Shadow by Alan Finn
7) Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng
8) The Seduction of Water by Carol Goodman
9) The Last Days of Dogtown by Anita Diamant
10) This cool-looking old grammar book (which I think is a 1940s reissue of a 1917 book) — because I can be a total nerd sometimes:
What books made your list this week? Please share your links!
If you enjoyed this post, please consider following Bookshelf Fantasies! And don’t forget to check out our regular weekly features, Shelf Control and Thursday Quotables. Happy reading!
Do you host a book blog meme? Do you participate in a meme that you really, really love? I’m building a Book Blog Meme Directory, and need your help! If you know of a great meme to include — or if you host one yourself — please drop me a note on my Contact page and I’ll be sure to add your info!