Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, featuring a different top 10 theme each week. This week’s topic is Ten Books To Read If You Are In The Mood For X… which means lot of room for individual interpretation… which makes checking out other bloggers’ lists so much fun.
My spin on the this week’s topic is all about the big shockers. When’s the last time you read a book that made you gasp with a sudden game-changing reveal? Or something that made you have to go all the way back to the beginning to see how it all looks different now that you know what you know? Or even (see #1 below) something as basic as assuming a certain character is the THE most important character, only to see him/her killed off in the very first book in a huge series?
My ten books with the biggest game-changing shockers — those “what did I just read???” moments — are:
1) A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin: You know what I mean, right? That heartbreaking moment when the character you love DOESN’T get a last-minute reprieve from the executioner? Damn you, GRRM, for killing off the people I expect to win! And he just keeps doing it and doing it and doing it.
For the rest, I’m not going to include any comments. Because even knowing that there’s a twist, or knowing what kind of twist it is, can really take away from the impact of that OMG! WTF! moment.
2) We Were Liars by E. Lockhart (review)
3) Everything, Everything by Nicola Joon (review)
4) The Basic Eight by Daniel Handler (info)
5) Fingersmith by Sara Waters (info)
6) Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (review)
7) Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein (review)
8) Hater by David Moody
9) The Uninvited by Cat Winters (review)
10) Then and Always by Dani Atkins (review)
Have you read any books with mind-blowing twists? Please let me know in the comments! And if you’ve written a TTT post this week, please share your link and I’ll come check it out. Thanks!
If you enjoyed this post, please consider following Bookshelf Fantasies! And don’t forget to check out our regular weekly features, Shelf Control and Thursday Quotables. Happy reading!
Do you host a book blog meme? Do you participate in a meme that you really, really love? I’m building a Book Blog Meme Directory, and need your help! If you know of a great meme to include — or if you host one yourself — please drop me a note on my Contact page and I’ll be sure to add your info!