Well, this sounds like a fun one! The Roof Beam Reader blog is hosting the 2013 TBR Pile Challenge, and I think I’ll jump right in!
The goal is to make a list of 12 books that having been sitting on your bookshelves for longer than a year — and commit to actually reading them — FINALLY — in 2013. This sounds perfect for a book hoarder like me… just can’t help myself when it comes to used book sales, and consequently, my shelves are full to bursting with books that I still haven’t read. To qualify, only books published prior to 2012 are eligible. Books can be read in any order, and two alternates are allowed (in case one of the 12 turns out to be soooooo not my thing…).
Drumroll, please! My list for the 2013 TBR Pile Challenge:
1) Dreamers of the Day by Mary Doria Russell (complete 4/3/2013)
2) The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (completed 7/3/2013)
3) Affinity by Sarah Waters
4) Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel (completed 7/3/2013)
5) Incendiary by Chris Cleave
6) Mariana by Susanna Kearsley (completed 1/14/2013)
7) Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir
8) Other Kingdoms by Richard Matheson
9) Horns by Joe Hill
10) The Camel Bookmobile by Masha Hamilton
11) An Abundance of Katherines by John Green
12) Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist by David Levithan and Rachel Cohn (completed 2/5/2013)
1) Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta
2) Tender Morsels by Margo Lanagan
Of course, it’s awfully hard to commit in advance. I have two Susanna Kearsley books and two Sarah Waters books that I want to read — is it cheating if I swap later on?
Good luck to everyone participating in the challenge! Happy reading in 2013!